His most recent documentary feature, Freedom Stories (2015 http://freedomstoriesproject.com/), is the third in a trilogy of films on the subject of asylum seekers. It premiered at the Sydney International Film Festival and was a finalist in the Documentary Australia Foundation Award for Australian Documentary. His previous feature, Hope (2008 http://www.hopedocumentary.com.au), won the ATOM Award for Best Social/Political Documentary. It was also a finalist in the Australian Human Rights Awards and Australian Directors Guild Awards.
Steve has a particular interest in documentary ethics. In 2010 he completed his Master of Film & Television by Research thesis entitled ‘Hope – Towards an ethical framework of collaborative practice in documentary filmmaking’ (available at http://repository.unimelb.edu.au/10187/10111). He has recently completed a practice-led PhD entitled ‘Reflexivity, collaboration and ethical documentary filmmaking: a practice based approach’ (available at https://minerva-access.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/161168). The creative component of the latter is Freedom Stories, which collaboratively explores the stories of former ‘boat people’ who arrived in detention circa 2001 and are now Australian citizens.
Steve’s work as a writer/director/producer also includes:
- Black Man’s Houses (1992) and Harold (1994): award-winning ABC TV documentaries examining black-white history in Australia. Distributor Ronin Films.
- The Hillmen – A Soccer Fable (1996): SBS TV and winner of the AFI Award for Best TV Documentary.
- Least Said, S oonest Mended (1999): SBS TV and winner United Nations Association Media Peace Award. Distributor Ronin Films.
- Family Foibles (2001): a series of 5 x 26’ family stories which Steve produced for ABC TV with mainly VCA graduates directing. Distributor Ronin Films.
- Welcome to Woomera (2004). ABC TV. Distributor Screen Australia.
Contact DetailsPhone Number: 9685 9018
Fax Number: 9685 9001
Major Recorded Works
Journal Articles Unrefereed
Full Written Papers Unrefereed
Journal Articles Refereed
Education and Training
- Master of Film & Television by Research (Documentary) MA by Research , University of Melbourne, 2011
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Chemistry BSc Hons , Durham University, 1971