Current Student Information

VCA MCM Students have access to a variety of University support and resources throughout the duration of their studies. All of these amenities and functions serve to further assist a Student’s ability to successfully undertake their degree.

In order to gain the most out of your experience within the Faculty, it is advised that you familiarise yourself with unique opportunities available to you, as well as your rights and responsibilities, as an enrolled student.


Each subject within the Faculty of VCA & MCM will have its assessment components outlined within the University of Melbourne Handbook. It is the responsibility of the Student to ensure they attend required classes, submit all assessed work within a timely manner, or be available for any examinations or other prescribed tests.


Deferred Exams & Assignment Extensions

Deferred exams will only be approved on medical or other serious grounds, where a student is physically unable to present for examination at the scheduled time. Student must apply for Special Consideration via my.unimelb in order to be considered for a Deferred Exam. Assessment Extensions may be applied for directly to the Faculty (applications available on the Forms page of this website) and only for up to ten working days. Where an extension is required beyond this period, Special Consideration should be sought.

All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis and must be substantiated by relevant supporting documentation.


Exam Clashes

Every effort is made to minimise exam clashes, however some clashes are unavoidable. Any exam scheduled by the Faculty of VCA & MCM that clashes with a centrally scheduled exam should be reported immediately to both the MCM and Student Administration office, by submitting the relevant forms to each department accordingly. Exam clashes between Faculty scheduled subjects can be directed to the VCA MCM Student Centre only.


Alternate Exam Arrangements

Students with approved DLU alternate exam arrangements will be contacted individually regarding their examination details. Any student not registered with the DLU who feels they require special exam arrangements should book an appointment with a Student Adviser to find out more about the process. Other Special/Alternate exam arrangements will only be approved in exceptional circumstances.



There are several resources available to VCA & MCM Students throughout the University, such as the Learning Management System (LMS), Lenton Parr Music, Visual and Performing Arts Library, Louise Hanson-Dyer Music Library as well as all other University Libraries. One of the most valuable resources available to Students is the Academic Skills office, which offers Students assignment draft feedback, individual tutorials, as well as English for Academic Purposes for International Students, along with a calendar of specialised academic skills and writing workshops.


Special Consideration

Students who experience difficulties during their semester, due to extenuating circumstances, may wish to speak with a Student Adviser regarding seeking Special Consideration for their assessments. Special Consideration is evaluated on case-by-case basis and only upon receipt of an application via my.unimelb, along with supporting documentation. For further information regarding Special Consideration, please view the University Special Consideration Procedure (MPF1030) which outlines; eligibility, documentation required, and submission process.


Course Unsatisfactory Progress Committee

VCA and MCM students who have failed a component of their enrolment will normally be required to attend an interview with a Student Adviser or in some cases, meet with the Faculty Course Unsatisfactory Progress Committee. The Committee interview is an opportunity for Students to address reasons as to why they were unable to successfully complete their subjects. In considering a student's progress, the Committee will work with the student to identify specific difficulties which have contributed to unsatisfactory performance. The Committee will determine whether the student can be reasonably expected to successfully complete his or her course, if permitted to continue.

Exchange & Study Abroad

The Melbourne Global Mobility Program is designed to encourage and support students to undertake part of their studies overseas. The benefits of going on exchange or study abroad include gaining an international perspective on your discipline and increasing your understanding of the global arts environment. Students are required to attend a Compulsary "First Steps" Information Session. Detailed application instructions, the application form, and the closing dates for each semester are available via the Global Mobility website.

There are two ways VCA and MCM students can study overseas;


Outbound Exchange

As an Exchange student, you can study for a single semester or full year at one of the University’s partner institutions that offer relevant programs to your own degree.

When overseas, students remain enrolled full-time at the University of Melbourne and continue to pay their course fees (HECS or full fees) here. Students are also enrolled full-time at the overseas institution but are not required to pay course fees to them.


Outbound Study Abroad

Study Abroad allows students to study at an overseas institution that does not have an Exchange agreement with the University of Melbourne. Students are asked to arrange their own overseas study program and to choose overseas subjects that are approved by the Faculty before departure.

Students will enrol in a University of Melbourne placeholder subject while they are on Study Abroad, but do not pay any tuition fees here, as most students will have to pay tuition fees at their host institution.


Postgraduate Coursework Students

Graduate, postgraduate diploma and masters-by-coursework students are usually eligible to participate in the Melbourne Abroad Program, but should confirm their eligibility with the convenor of their course. If there are no course restrictions, the same eligibility requirements as undergraduate students apply, with the following exception;

  • Postgraduate coursework students must have completed at least one semester and 50 points, in the University of Melbourne course for which they are seeking credit for the study undertaken overseas, by the due date of applications.

Student Services, Rights, Responsibilities

The University of Melbourne has a diverse array of services available to students as part of their enrolment. These services range from Student Union, Academic skills and support, to Health Services, Housing, Financial Aid and Child Care.


Student Services

Student Services are available to all Faculty of VCA & MCM students and are primarily located around the Parkville campus. Certain facilities are available on the Southbank Campus such as; Counselling and Psychological Services, Disability Liaison, Physiotherapy, and Financial Aid. Students are encouraged to view and explore the University’s Student Services Site for more in depth information as to areas of support for students and how best to access them.


Student Union (UMSU)

The University of Melbourne Student Union offers another level of support to Students to promote the welfare of Students on campus with services ranging from Advocacy, Legal Service, Clubs, Theatre and more. For further information, visit the University of Melbourne Student Union website.


Melbourne Uni Sport

Melbourne Uni Sport is a fully equipped sporting and exercise gym and pool with clubs, competitions, personal training and fitness, as well as health and wellness services such as massage and physiotherapy.



ask.unimelb is an extensive FAQ database for students with respect to University news, policies, procedures,  dates, etc. It covers a diverse array of categories and can be updated to include new information as required. It is important to note that whilst ask.unimelb is a great FAQ resource, information from the website cannot be used to replace University Policy.


Student Rights & Responsibilities

All currently enrolled students have rights and responsibilities they should be aware of in order to minimise administrative complications and ensure that their academic studies provide a rewarding experience.

These Rights and Responsibilities are covered within the scope of Government Legislation and University Legislation, with relation to Policies, Procedures and Statues. These relate to areas such as Student behaviour, Enrolment, Fees, Copyright, etc.  All Students are encouraged to visit the Melbourne Policy Library, or contact the Student Centre for and appointment regarding any advice that may relate to their Student experience.

Useful Links

Student Union Advocacy Service

Equity and Student Engagement

MCM Instrument Loans

The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music has a selection of musical instruments including strings, woodwinds, brass and early music instruments that are available for loan to current students for use in course-related activities. All instrument loans are subject to the recommendation of your teacher and approval of the responsible academic staff member, and organised by the Instrument Loans Manager, Infrastructure and Operations (, rather than the VCA & MCM Student Centre.

Instrument loans require a refundable deposit of $200 and a loan fee of $100 per semester or part thereof. Certain valuable instruments may require a higher deposit.


To Organise an Instrument Loan

  • Seek support of the responsible academic staff member; subject coordinator, teacher, ensemble director or convenor of instrument area, who may recommend a particular instrument to you.
  • Contact the Instrument Loans Manager to reserve an instrument, obtain information about loan fees and deposit payments and make an appointment.
  • The Instrument Loans Manager will issue a loan agreement form for you to sign, receive your payment, issue a receipt, and hand over the instrument.
  • You will then be permitted to take the instrument off campus for practice during the Semester and keep it safely at your address.

Please note

  • Students are responsible for looking after the instrument for the duration of the loan period and ensuring that the instrument is kept safe and in good repair.
  • Students are not permitted to pass the instrument on to anyone else.
  • Instruments must not be left in motor vehicles, unlocked rooms or otherwise left unattended.
  • All instruments must be returned personally to the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Front Office or the Instrument Loans Manager.

Instruments must be returned by the due date. A penalty of $100 will be imposed immediately an instrument is overdue, with an additional charge of $5 per day imposed for each day that the instrument is late.


Pianos for Home Practice

The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music has arranged a special service with a piano supplier to support students who have moved to Melbourne to study, with no piano at home, to get access to a quality upright piano for the whole academic year (March to November) at a heavily discounted rate.

The service is available from approximately $85 per month including GST, plus the removal and tuning cost.

MCM Accompanists

The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music provides students with an accompanist allowance to rehearse and perform with an approved accompanist in performance classes and practical examinations within the following degrees;

  • Diploma in Music (Practical)
  • Bachelor of Music
  • Bachelor of Music (Honours)
  • Graduate Diploma in Music (Practical)
  • Master of Music (Performance Teaching)
  • Master of Music (Music Performance)

Practical Examination Accompanist Allowances

The Accompanist allowance includes both rehearsals and the examination (e.g. for a Bachelor of Music student enrolled in MUSI10090 Music Performance 2, the allowance would cover one hour for rehearsal, one hour for performance exam).


1 hour per student:

Diploma in Music (Practical)

MUSI10012 Music Performance 2D

MUSI20060 Music Performance 4D

MUSI30216 Music Performance 6D

Bachelor of Music

MUSI10090 Minor Music Performance 2

MUSI20026 Minor Music Performance 4

MUSI30051 Minor Music Performance 6

2 hours per student:

Bachelor of Music

MUSI10221 Practical Music 2
MUSI20200 Practical Music 4
MUSI30251 Practical Music 6

MUSI20202 Performance 4

MUSI20059 Music Performance 4

MUSI30218 Music Performance 6

Bachelor of Music (Honours)

MUSI40060 Concerto

4 hours per student:

Bachelor of Music

MUSI30253 Performance 6

MUSI30008 Performance Study 6

Bachelor of Music (Honours)

MUSI40061 Recital

Graduate Diploma in Music (Practical)

MUSI40017 Practical Study 2

Master of Music (Performance Teaching)

MUSI90156 Performing to Teach 2

MUSI90157 Pedagogue Recital

Master of Music (Music Performance)

MUSI90100 Recital 1

MUSI90101 Recital 2


Please note: Payment for any time outside of the allocated hours indicated above, or for an Accompanist not listed on the MCM List of Approved Accompanists, are the responsibility of the student.


MCM List of approved accompanists

Students are required to use Accompanists from the MCM List of Approved Accompanists.

Students are required to notify the MCM, via the Practical Examination Program Approval Form (due week 8 of each semester) of the Accompanist that will be used for their recital examination. Students must notify the Faculty Academic Support Office  if they are changing Accompanists.


Non-keyboard Accompaniment

Contemporary music students completing the Master of Music (Performance Teaching) and students undertaking specialist instrumental studies (e.g. early music) can apply for special permission from the Faculty Academic Support Office  to use an Accompanist outside of the MCM List of Approved Accompanists.


FAQ: Keyboard Accompanist allowance instrumental, Concert and Performance Classes

The following classes have a scheduled Accompanist each week:

  • Instrumental Class
  • Concert Class
  • Performance Class: Bachelor of Music (Honours) and students enrolled in Performance Study 5 and 6

For the following classes, any Accompanist from the MCM List of Approved Accompanists may be used:

  • Performance Class: Master of Music (Performance Teaching)
  • Performance Class: Master of Music (Performance)


Who is the scheduled accompanist for instrumental, concert and performance (honours and performance study) class?

The Head of Department or the Performance/Concert Class Coordinator will notify students of the scheduled Accompanist each week.


How much rehearsal/performance time am I entitled to?

Instrumental, concert and performance (honours and performance study) class: One 15-minute rehearsal with the scheduled Accompanist for the class, plus the performance.

Master of Music (Performance Teaching) and Master of Music (Performance) classes: One 1-hour rehearsal with any Accompanist from the MCM List of Approved Accompanists, plus the performance in class.


How do I organise rehearsals?

Sign-up sheets for rehearsals will be available on the relevant instrumental music boards in the Conservatorium, or alternatively, via direct contact with the Accompanist. Please check with your Head of Department or the Performance/Concert Class Coordinator if you are unsure as to how to sign-up for rehearsals.


Do I have to use the scheduled Accompanist for instrumental, concert and performance (honours and performance study) class?

No, students are able to perform in class with an Accompanist of their choice. However, if a student uses an Accompanist that is not scheduled for the class, the student is responsible for the cost of the rehearsal and performance.


I am an MCM Contemporary Music student enrolled in the Master of Music (Performance Teaching); do I have to use an Accompanist from the MCM List of Approved Accompanists for class?

No. Contemporary music students are able to apply for special permission to use an Accompanist outside of the MCM List of Approved Accompanists by emailing the Faculty Academic Support Office.


FAQ: Accompanist Allowance for Practical Examinations

Can I continue to rehearse with my Accompanist beyond the allocated hours?

Yes. Students are encouraged to rehearse with Accompanists for as long as required to ensure the greatest preparation for their recital examination. However, where a student uses more than their allocated allowance, they must pay the Accompanist directly for the extra time.


I am using a piano Accompanist and a harpsichordist for my exam; can I claim an Accompanist allowance for both?

Students are entitled to an Accompanist allowance based on the subject enrolled, not the type(s) of accompaniment required for the examination. However, special permission can be sought from the Faculty Academic Support Office to have an allocation calculated on a proportional basis (e.g. allocation split equally between two associate artists).


Can I use my Accompanist allowance for a technical examination?

No. The MCM does not provide an Accompanist Allowance to facilitate technical examinations.


I have deferred my examination; can I claim extra Accompanist hours?

No. Students are entitled to an Accompanist allowance based on the subject enrolled, and unfortunately the MCM cannot cover additional hours incurred as a result of special consideration and deferred examinations.


I am a student accompanying another student; can I get paid for my time?

No. It is often encouraged that students work with other students during performance classes, however the MCM does not pay for students that accompany other students.


What if my Accompanist isn’t on the MCM List of Approved Accompanists?

Students are able to seek special permission from the Faculty Academic Support Office  to use an Accompanist outside the MCM List of Approved Accompanists. Students are required to provide details as to why they require an associate artist not listed as an MCM List of Approved Accompanist.